The English Planning System

The Planning System provides development where it is needed. It is made up of two types of planning:

  • development plans; and
  • development control.

The national governmental department responsible for planning is the Department for Communities and Local Government.  In September 2004 the English planning system changed (it underwent a Planning Reform), from this point forward, this website will refer only to the new planning system as this is the one that will affect you as a potential aggregate reprocessor. However, you can find out more about the differences between the old and new planning systems.

Both Development Plans and Development Control are carried out by the planning team of your Local Planning Authority. If you want to develop a site in England for aggregate reprocessing, you will most likely need planning permission.

A specific team within your Local Planning Authority will deal with minerals and waste planning, and therefore your Local Planning Authority may also be the Minerals and Waste Planning Authority. It is important to find out which Local Planning Authority acts as the Minerals and Waste Planning Authority for the site you want to develop, as these are the people who will decide whether you need planning permission or not.

Planning Permission: Is it Required?

You are likely to need planning permission from your Minerals and Waste Planning Authority if you want to do one of the following:

  • Build a stand-alone recycled and secondary aggregate reprocessing facility;
  • Build a facility as part of a quarrying or aggregate extraction development;
  • Build a facility as part of a waste disposal or waste transfer site;
  • Change part of an existing reprocessing plant e.g. extension, new road access, longer working hours;

If you intend to expand an existing site or you are looking to use or hire-out a mobile recycled aggregate crushing and screening plant, you may need planning permission. You should check with your Minerals and Waste Planning Authority.

In addition to planning permission, you may also need a Waste Management Licence or an Exemption from Licensing from the Environment Agency. Details of waste management regulations can be found by looking at the Waste Management Regulations Modul.

What Happens Next?

Once the Planning Officer or Planning Committee have decided whether or not to give you planning permission for your development, they will send you a letter letting you know if your planning application has been refused, or granted to subject to planning conditions.

In exceptional circumstances, the Minerals and Waste Planning Authority may recommend that your planning application be approved, even though it is contrary to the Development Plan. This usually happens when it can be demonstrated that there is an ‘over-riding need’ for the development. In such a case, the application is referred to the Secretary of State as a ‘departure’ from the plan. At this point, the Secretary of State will decide whether to ‘call-in’ the application and hold a public inquiry, or to leave the Minerals and Waste Planning Authority to determine the application (i.e. approve it).

Select one of the following links depending on whether your planning application has been granted or refused.

  • Permission Granted
  • Permission Refused